From dabbawalas to consulate staff, WR releases list of essential staff who can ride local Mumbai trains
The Western Railway on Tuesday released a list of categories of essential staff who have been allowed to travel on local trains.
The Western Railway has allowed Mumbai dabbawalas and staff from foreign consulates and high commissions to travel on local trains which are currently only operated for essential service personnel.
Dabbawalas, Mumbai’s famous lunch box carriers, had requested access to local trains last month to resume full capacity services. Currently, due to COVID-19 related restrictions, only dabbawalas who could reach South Mumbai region on their bikes were able to deliver food to office workers.
On September 18, Western Railway said a total of 500 commuter rail services would be operating in Mumbai from September 21, an increase from the 350 currently on the rails amid the coronavirus outbreak.
Commuter trains in service are now restricted to frontline staff and essential service workers as planned by the state government, and a ticketing mechanism with a QR code is in place for those who need to board .
Local trains have been suspended for the general public since the lockdown began on March 22. Western Railway and Central Railway resumed Mumbai suburban services on the Main Line and Port Line on June 15. These special commuter services were for general/public passengers only and were strictly for “essential personnel” as identified by the state government. Those who work in the private sector cannot use them, which is why most of them find it difficult to get to their workplaces.
Here is the complete list of essential services personnel authorized to travel by local train:
1. All railway personnel, including personnel from all railway UAPs (MRVC, IRCTC, etc.) and all who have been granted permission to travel as Workmen Special.
2. All Mantralaya staff, including collectors office staff.
3. Staff from all municipalities (MCGM, MBMC, VVMC, TMC, KDMC, NMMC, Palghar Municipal Corporation), including teachers from municipal schools and contract staff hired by municipalities
4 Maharashtra Police including Mumbai Police and GRP.
5. Employees of BEST, MSRTC, MBMT, VVMT, NMMT, TMT, KDMT
6. All Central Government Employees and Central Government PSU Employees
7. Defense staff, employees of Income Tax, GST, Postal Customs Department, Mumbai Port Trust, Judiciary and Raj Bhavan.
8. Employees of nationalized banks
9. All staff in public/private hospitals, including all pathological/laboratory test/pharmaceutical staff
10. Employees of an approved aircraft maintenance and repair organization (MRO).
11. Staff of all private electricity supply companies i.e. Adani Electricity Mumbai ltd, Tata Power Company Ltd etc.
12. Staff of all cooperative banks and private banks
13. Employees of Consulate General, High Commissioner, Honorary Consulate General and International Institutes
14. Dabbawalas in the Mumbai metropolitan area.
The Western Railway in a statement said: “All concerned are requested to issue a travel/subscription ticket to the essential services personnel enlisted above upon presentation of a valid identity card issued by their organization. The ticket journey/subscription must be valid with the identity card issued by the organization concerned only.”
(To receive our daily E-paper on WhatsApp, please Click here. We allow the PDF of the document to be shared on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)
Posted: Wednesday 07 October 2020, 13:23 IST