In-person classes, non-essential activities canceled February 15 and 16 due to extreme weather conditions
Editor’s Note: This message was sent on February 16 to members of the UChicago community by Eric M. Heath, Associate Vice President for Safety and Security; and Michele Rasmussen, Dean of Students at the University. The message extends a previously announced closure on February 15.
In light of heavy snow accumulations in many Chicago neighborhoods, the President and Provost have extended the cancellation of all in-person classes and non-essential activities at Chicago venues until midnight tonight. The University will reopen and campus activities will continue as planned on Wednesday, February 17.
As a reminder, University employees whose presence on campus is not critical are not expected to come to campus; employees who can perform their work remotely should do so. Employees should consult with their supervisors on issues specific to their roles and assignments. Personnel in UCChicago’s Division of Medicine and Biological Sciences who perform essential clinical or other functions will be required to work.
We continue to advise students, faculty, other academic staff and staff to avoid travel and stay indoors as much as possible.
As a residential university, many functions will continue during the closure:
- All residence halls and dining halls will remain open.
- Essential security personnel, including University police and facility workers, will provide key services, although security guards will be removed from outposts if temperatures drop to unsafe levels.
- Transportation services, including shuttles, will operate on a regular schedule unless conditions make this impossible or unsafe.
- The closures will include all library facilities, Harper Memorial Library, Ratner Athletic Center, Reynolds Club, Ida Noyes and restaurants in those buildings.
- Medical University of Chicago will continue to operate its hospitals and clinics and will continue to communicate about operations with its staff and faculty.
- UChicago Student Wellness will remain open for virtual care only; students should call 773.834.WELL before coming to the Student Wellness Center. All in-person appointments for today will be rescheduled.
- Please check the University website for ongoing updates. Many units will issue additional guidelines specific to their school, division, or department.
For students experiencing hardship due to extreme weather conditions (e.g., inadequate winter clothing, transportation issues), please contact Campus and Student Life at 773.702.5243 during regular business hours or submit a request via https://csl.uchicago.edu/about/contact. For immediate attention, call the Dean on call at 773.834.HELP (4357).