Defense Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob announced today that all economic and social sectors – except those on the list of essential services – will not be allowed to operate under “total lockdown which will come into effect next Tuesday.
They include offices, retailers, factories and shopping malls. In the case of shopping centers, only tenants on the list of essential services can operate.
“It will reduce the number of workers from 15 million to 1.5 million,” he said in a televised address.
Ismail said the aim was to reduce the movement of people in a bid to contain the spread of Covid-19.
The list of 17 sectors allowed to operate includes food and drink, health services, including veterinary care, and security services, including welfare.
The complete list of sectors authorized to operate is as follows:
- Food and drink, including for animals
- Health care and medicine, including food supplements, animal care and veterinary services
- Safety and security, defence, emergency, welfare and humanitarian aid
- Solid waste management, public sanitation and irrigation
- Land, sea and air transport
- Port, shipyard and airport services, including unloading, lightering (cargo transfer between ships), cargo handling, pilotage and storage or consolidation of goods
- Communications, including media, telecommunications and internet, postage, mail as well as broadcasting (for the purposes of disseminating information, news and related matters
- Bank, takaful and purse
- Community credit (pawnshop and Ar-Rahnu)
- Electronic Commerce and Information Technology
- Extraction, distillation, storage, supply and distribution of fuels and lubricants
- Hotels (only for the purpose of quarantine, isolation, work for essential services and not for tourists)
- Construction, maintenance and critical repairs
- Forest Services (limited to application) and Wildlife
- Logistics limited to the delivery of essential services
Ismail said factories have also been ordered to close, except for those on the approved list, and operations are only allowed at 60% capacity.
The complete list of factories in the manufacturing sector authorized to operate is…