What is an essential employee or business?
Beaumont Mayor Becky Ames issues stay-at-home order for city, broader order expected for all of Southeast Texas
BEAUMONT, Texas — Southeast Texas’ “Stay Home Work Safe” ordinance is similar to one many other communities issued last week.
Essential businesses and activities include grocery stores, pharmacies and doctors.
“We’re going to get through this together,” Mayor Ames said Friday. “By staying home and working safely, we’ll put this behind us faster. We need you to stay home. Quarantine parties aren’t smart and we know they’re out there. “
RELATED: Beaumont issues stay-at-home order as local judges consider ‘strict order’ for all of Southeast Texas
What is Open?
- Core Government Functions
- Essential businesses (see below)
- Restaurants that serve take-out, delivery or drive-thru
- Bars serving food for takeout, delivery or drive-thru
- Micro-breweries that serve food for takeout, delivery or drive-thru
- Micro-distilleries that serve food for takeout, delivery or drive-thru
- Vineyards that serve food for takeout, delivery or drive-thru
- Public parks
- Outdoor recreation areas open
- Religious and worship services by video and teleconference
What’s closed, for now? (non-exhaustive list)
- Fitness centers
- swimming pools
- Sports and Recreational Training Facilities and Studios
- Hair and nail salons
- Authorized massage companies
- Tattoo parlors
- Concert halls
- Live performance theaters
- Movie theater
- Game rooms
- bowling alleys
- Indoor and outdoor flea markets and exchanges
- Indoor malls and malls
- bingo halls
- Tanning salons
The Essential Activities are:
- Perform essential health and safety tasks, including: obtaining medication or consulting a healthcare professional
- Obtain or deliver supplies or services to others, including: food, pet supplies, household products, home work
- Engage in an outdoor activity, while keeping a social distance
- Perform work providing essential products and services to an essential business
- Caring for a family member or pet in another household.
Essential businesses include:
- Critical infrastructure as identified by the US Department of Homeland Security’s National Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency
- Essential government functions, including law enforcement and other services for the health, safety and welfare of the public
- Essential healthcare operations, including hospitals, dentists, pharmacies, pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, mental health providers, blood banks, home and residential care for the elderly, adults and children, veterinary and animal welfare operations
- Essential retail, including grocery stores, outlet stores, gas stations, convenience stores, food producers and service providers
- Suppliers of basic necessities to economically disadvantaged populations
- Essential services necessary to maintain essential operations of residences or other essential businesses, including: garbage and recycling collection, courier and shipping services, building maintenance and security, and funeral homes
- Child care and adult care services
- Infrastructure, development, operation and construction services, including construction of public works, housing construction, trade, manufacturing, petroleum refining, roads and highways, public transport and systems telecommunications
- Transportation businesses, including car dealerships, parts distributors, maintenance and repair facilities, gas stations, rental vehicles
- Union functions
- Port of Beaumont
- Airports and related operations
- Professional services, including legal, accounting, insurance and real estate services.
- Other businesses that are not listed but are or support critical industries or services.
RELATED: Group of 58 Southeast doctors and nurse practitioners appeal for stay-at-home order in next 24-48 hours
RELATED: LIST: Restaurants in Southeast Texas remain open via delivery, drive-thru and delivery during the coronavirus pandemic
RELATED: COVID-19 Tracking: Southeast Texas Coronavirus Tracking Maps
RELATED: These states have issued stay-at-home orders. What does it mean?
RELATED: Governor Greg Abbott issues executive order to quarantine people coming from NY, NJ, CT and New Orleans
RELATED: Lamar University Partners with School Districts, Offering Free Resources When Teachers Switch to Online Format
RELATED: SETX COVID-19 Updates: LIT Cancels Spring Start, Port Arthur Reports First Positive